Killer Tips for a Better Nights Sleep

We all need our sleep, right? A lack of sleep can make you feel grumpy, look tired and feel generally unmotivated. So I am here to help! Here is my proven to work list for helping you improve your beauty rest.

Wake and sleep consistently

This can be a tough one for a lot of people, but it really does help! A good way to get started with this is setting an alarm (the dreaded word…). It really does help. Studies show that waking and sleeping at consistent times can alter your body’s circadian rhythm and melatonin levels, which signals you to sleep!

Avoiding caffeine and alcohol

I try to avoid both of these for at least 4 hours before I am due to go to sleep. I always notice how much worse my sleep is if I have a drink or a cup of tea before bed, so I am doing my best to stop completely.

Lavender

As someone who also suffers from anxiety, lavender is a life saver. I use a lavender pillow spray every night and also have a lavender diffuser in my room, it really helps to relax me and create a pro-sleep environment.

Your bedroom environment

Speaking of your environment, it also helps if you create a calming atmosphere. Try to minimise noise, reduce artificial light and make sure your pillows and mattress are comfortable for you. I also like to have a fluffy blanket on my bed like this one, it just makes everything that little bit cosier.

Look after YOU

I always find that when I have a mini paper/spa evening, I sleep so much better. I love to have a hot shower, moisturise my body and complete my skincare routine. Sometimes I will treat myself and use a face mask and body scrub too.

Reducing blue light

Too much blue light close to your bedtime can have an aversive effect and trick your brain into thinking it’s still daytime. Most phones/tablets etc have a blue light filter installed, and I would definitely recommend activating it!

Regular exercise

I try to hit the gym every other day, to give my body a little recovery time in between. I have found that exercising regularly has helped improve my sleep a lot, it makes me feel a lot more tired and ready to climb in to bed.

So there are my tips for improving your sleep, I hope this was helpful and let me know if you use any of these tips! Please share this post across your social media, I would really appreciate it! Have a great rest of the week.

blog name

Share:

20 Comments

1. February 21, 2018 / 10:40 pm

Right before bed I love having 5-10 minutes to pamper with my Lush Sleepy lotion, face cream, eye cream, the whole thing. I also spritz a pillow mist on my bed and make it a really relaxing routine so I am sure to shut off before bed. Lavender is a huge help, it’s such a relaxing scent!

• itstheblondelife
      Author
      February 22, 2018 / 8:43 am

This sounds like a great routine hun! Need to try the lush sleepy lotion!

2. February 20, 2018 / 10:36 pm

I didn’t know about lavender, I am going to try that out. I have been having AWFUL sleep for the past 2 weeks. At least the little sleep has been good but still I am way too tired most of the time. Thanks for these great ideas!

Jani from http://www.mylifeinmedicineblog.com

• itstheblondelife
      Author
      February 21, 2018 / 8:19 pm

I really hope the lavender can help you hun! It has really helped me get more and better quality sleep. I hope you get a good nights sleep!

3. February 19, 2018 / 2:33 pm

Okay I’ve been sleeping AWFULLY lately, and Im so glad I read this because now I know where I’m going wrong- definitely blue light and caffeine problems hehe!

• itstheblondelife
      Author
      February 19, 2018 / 7:22 pm

So glad I could help! Sleep well hun?

4. February 18, 2018 / 1:17 pm

AS much as I love the smell of lavender I’ve never used it for this purpose! This is a great idea! I also need to stop with the coffee. It isn’t healthy. Great tips girl!

• itstheblondelife
      Author
      February 18, 2018 / 10:20 pm

Thanks so much lovely! Yes I find that lavender has really helped me! x

5. February 18, 2018 / 12:19 pm

Great tips lovely! I used to have the night time one activatated on Twitter all the time as I liked the blue, but I might try it on my phone as a whole. I struggle with staying asleep throughout the night. Thanks for sharing lovely ?

• itstheblondelife
      Author
      February 18, 2018 / 10:21 pm

Ah I hope you find some tricks that work for you sleeping well soon! Thanks for the support x

6. February 15, 2018 / 9:55 pm

These are really good and useful tips! I have a bad habit to sleep longer if I can and then I don’t get enough sleep the next night. Weekends make Mondays quite hard :D!

• itstheblondelife
      Author
      February 15, 2018 / 10:38 pm

Haha yes i totally understand!

• itstheblondelife
      Author
      February 15, 2018 / 11:44 am

Ah thats great to hear! Its such a calming smell xx

7. February 14, 2018 / 12:26 pm

These are great tips, I really need to get into an exercise routine, there’s so many benefits!

• itstheblondelife
      Author
      February 14, 2018 / 12:31 pm

Yes there is! Exercise is fantastic for you

8. February 14, 2018 / 11:36 am

This blog post comes at the perfect time – I just switched this week from a night owl to an early bird schedule. The clean, clutter-free sleeping environment and lavender scents really helped! I still need to adjust my caffeine intake. Old habits die hard, and I usually had my last cup of the day around 5pm. Oops. You mention 4 hours but I’m wide awake even six or seven after…!

• itstheblondelife
      Author
      February 14, 2018 / 11:44 am

Ah yes people differ! I find 4 hours is enough for me, i hope youre sleeping better!

9. February 14, 2018 / 8:57 am

I keep to a regular sleep schedule- the problem is – my schedule means going to sleep at 1:00 am and waking up at 6:30. Im just addicted to the quiet of the night time hours when I can read and write in peace. I was also a night owl so turning my brain off even if I’m physically tired is a problem. will look for the lavender spray and try that.

• itstheblondelife
      Author
      February 14, 2018 / 10:14 am

Awh i understand what you mean about the quiet, but yes the lavender spray has helped me alot